Re: electrical problem I think...

To: Ldanny@concentric.net
Subject: Re: electrical problem I think...
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:42:31 EST
Danny,
 First thing, get methodical about the problem. You can spend a mass of
money "thinking" it's this or that.
 Try this to find the ignition problem'
1.Remove the spark plugs (to lessen the strain on the starter)
2. Place a known good spark plug in the #1 (or any handy) plug lead and
lay the plug agains the head, to make an electrical connection.
 3. Crank the engine and observe the spark. It should be sharp, blue and
easily seen.
If it is so, then the problem not lack of "fire"
A    If no spark:
 1. Remove distributor cap and rotor button. Ignition switch on
 2. With your finger, or a piece of stiff plastic, "flip" the points open
and let them snap closed. If you are getting a spark across the points,
so far so good - go to "C"
B.  if no spark
   1. Remove the primary lead from the distributor and check for 12V,
using a test light or voltmeter. If voltage is correct, go to "C"
  2. If no voltage, or low voltage, using a test light or voltmeter,
check for 12 volts on the "-" or "d" terminal of the coil
3. Check for 12V at the "+" or "SW" terminal of the coil. If 12v here but
not at "-", then coil is defective. If no voltage at "+" then fault lies
between switch and coil.
C. good spark at plugs and points.
 1. Check static ignition timing. (Assuming you havent a manual, which by
the by is the first thing you should get)
   a. slowly turn the engine until #1 piston is coming up on compression
stroke. This can be determined by "bumping the starter while holding your
finger over the #1 plug hole til you feel pressure from compression. VERY
slowly turn the engine forward til the timing marks line up at about 5
degree BTDC. This takes some contortions as the marks are under the
crankshaft damper/pully and can only be seen from below the car. Easiest
way is to put the car in 4th gear, and push it forward til the marks
align.
  b Your test lite attached to the distributor primary lead (which you
have re-attached)
  will glow when the points open. If the light is lit before the marks
align, loosen the distributor clamp and rotate the dist. in a clockwise
direction until the light goes out. Then SLOWLY rotate the dist counter
clockwise until the light just comes on. This will get your static timing
close enough to get the engine running, where upon you can use the timing
light to set the final, dynamic timing (which is 14 degree BTDC, vacuum
line disconnected, at 900 RPM)
Good Luck.
 Oh, for what it's worth, tell your mother (very politely) that you got
this from a guy who has put over 215,000 miles on a 1974 Midget and whole
total repair bill is less than that for his wifes Honda Accord, and the
Honda has never needed major repairs!
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

On Mon, 02 Mar 1998 00:21:11 -0800 danny <Ldanny@concentric.net> writes:
>Hello
>
>here's my predicament...=20
>
>Last December I purchased my first car, a 1974 midget.. When I first
>saw the=
> car I knew I had to get it, looked perfect to me and for me! =20
>
>But (knew there was one coming eh?) that day I cleaned it up,
>stupidly=
> listening to the radio, and pretty sure drained the battery... ever
>since=
> then nothing has worked.. at all!  Ergh!  I replaced the battery,
>prepared=
> to start it up and go for a drive... nothing...
>
>So this guy at my work, Larry, who knows about cars, came over and has
>been=
> offering me advice, based on a book I checked out of the library and
>his=
> knowledge of cars.  We jumped it with my sister's car and it did work
>(b4 I=
> bought the battery) but then when we cut it the engine died and
>wouldn't=
> start again... His suggestion, a new alternator... 80 bucks later I
>put it=
> in (felt pretty good about that :) ) jumped in, turned the key and
>still=
> nothing.. The engine "turns but never fires" I think is how to put
>it... so=
> Larry comes back over and finds there is no spark going to the
>plugs... so=
> he goes thru and thinks its the Coil... he thought the new
>alternator=
> probably burnt it out. So I visited my local pep boys , 30 bucks
>later I=
> put it in, jumped in and still the same thing.  He hasn't come over
>since I=
> put the coil in, but if its still not firing' I figure its still not=
> getting spark...  I'm no mechanic (17 and never really worked on a
>car till=
> now) so I'm not going to try checking for spark to make sure I don't
>do=
> anything dumb..
>
>I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice ...  We know current
>is=
> getting to the alternator at least... Any areas of advice?  he
>suggested=
> the distributor cap might be worn...  My mom is beginning to get on
>me=
> about this, I bought the car under HIGH objections from her that it
>would=
> always break down and almost 3 months later I've yet to drive it...
>Please=
> help, or I might be FORCED ( literally.. my mom is getting pretty
>pissed=
> about me taking her car every night to work ;) )to sell the car...
>Thanks=
> in advance
>
>-danny

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]