electrical problem I think...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: electrical problem I think...
From: danny <Ldanny@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 00:21:11 -0800
Hello

here's my predicament...=20

Last December I purchased my first car, a 1974 midget.. When I first saw the=
 car I knew I had to get it, looked perfect to me and for me! =20

But (knew there was one coming eh?) that day I cleaned it up, stupidly=
 listening to the radio, and pretty sure drained the battery... ever since=
 then nothing has worked.. at all!  Ergh!  I replaced the battery, prepared=
 to start it up and go for a drive... nothing...

So this guy at my work, Larry, who knows about cars, came over and has been=
 offering me advice, based on a book I checked out of the library and his=
 knowledge of cars.  We jumped it with my sister's car and it did work (b4 I=
 bought the battery) but then when we cut it the engine died and wouldn't=
 start again... His suggestion, a new alternator... 80 bucks later I put it=
 in (felt pretty good about that :) ) jumped in, turned the key and still=
 nothing.. The engine "turns but never fires" I think is how to put it... so=
 Larry comes back over and finds there is no spark going to the plugs... so=
 he goes thru and thinks its the Coil... he thought the new alternator=
 probably burnt it out. So I visited my local pep boys , 30 bucks later I=
 put it in, jumped in and still the same thing.  He hasn't come over since I=
 put the coil in, but if its still not firing' I figure its still not=
 getting spark...  I'm no mechanic (17 and never really worked on a car till=
 now) so I'm not going to try checking for spark to make sure I don't do=
 anything dumb..

I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice ...  We know current is=
 getting to the alternator at least... Any areas of advice?  he suggested=
 the distributor cap might be worn...  My mom is beginning to get on me=
 about this, I bought the car under HIGH objections from her that it would=
 always break down and almost 3 months later I've yet to drive it... Please=
 help, or I might be FORCED ( literally.. my mom is getting pretty pissed=
 about me taking her car every night to work ;) )to sell the car... Thanks=
 in advance

-danny