oil galleries

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil galleries
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:38:49 -0700
As many of you know, I've been looking for an engine to rebuild.  I found
one which has supposedly been recently rebuilt, and it's at the machine
shop to see what it needs.  Here's the question:  John Twist and other
books talk about drilling out the brass plugs in the oil galleries to clean
everything out during a rebuild.  The guy at the machine shop doesn't feel
that this is necessary.  I'm soliciting opinions now, but am leaning
towards doing it anyway.  What does everyone think?
Thanks in advance,    Nina