Re: Stuck pistons -Reply

To: code5@ibm.net (code5)
Subject: Re: Stuck pistons -Reply
From: Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 98 23:11:07 EST

> > I've always had good luck using Coca-Cola to eat through rust on
> > U-joints.  Wonder if it would make the difference in your cylinders?
> >
> The plan: the block goes upside-down, padded, on the cement floor. I'll
> try the Coke. I'll toast the outside of the jug through the water-jacket
> holes and the adjoining cyl. with a heat gun. I then drop some dry ice
> into the bottom of the piston. I whack it with a wooden drift and a
> maul.

Interesting.  For those wondering, Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid,
which works well for a rust converter, converting the iron oxide into
something else :-) .  You would probably be better off, however, using
just plain phosphoric acid (or diluted, or however it's sold).  I guess
it would work for the above, never thought about using Coke though :-)

Probably cheaper to use regular phosphoric acid, though.
--
Sean Bartnik
Fredericksburg, Virginia