Re: Stuck pistons

To: "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>, "code5" <code5@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck pistons
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 98 11:31:49 -0500
On 3/1/98 10:55 AM so and so  Art Pfenninger said. (And I quote)

>It sounds like the rings are getting stuck on the ridge at the top. I
>would say to try to remove them from the bottom but if I remember
>correctly you can't get them out that way. Give it a try to confirm
>though. If you have a ridge, you can rent a ridge reamer and remove it.
>You'll have to do so before installing new rings anyway, otherwise they
>may break.
>...Art
>
>On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, code5 wrote:
>
>> Hello again from the Road Salt State--
>> My pistons are frozen solid. I've managed to get two out using, a chunk
>> of firewood, some oak drifts and a 6# sledge and only hope I haven't
>> trashed them (I was careful to limit the impact to the part that holds
>> the wrist pins, and the top front & rear edges). Are there any other
>> methods to try? Is a propane torch or heat gun useful? Liquid Wrench,
>> WD40 etc. don't seem to do much, though the fumes are relaxing.
>> I'd be grateful for any tips on what to try, or to avoid.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> John Vallely (NY)
>> '59 mga

I like the idea of trying from the top and the bottom, Noe I am not the
best But try some solvent. On froze Cat deisels we used deisel (See
Trevor Boicey's mail on the same subject).Then we trashed them 700 lbs of
pure steel.

Larry Macy
78 Midget