Re: Stuck pistons -Reply

To: sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu
Subject: Re: Stuck pistons -Reply
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:09:57 +0000
> Interesting.  For those wondering, Coca-Cola contains phosphoric
>acid,
> which works well for a rust converter, converting the iron oxide into
> something else :-) .  You would probably be better off, however, using
> just plain phosphoric acid (or diluted, or however it's sold).  I guess
> it would work for the above, never thought about using Coke though :-)
>
> Probably cheaper to use regular phosphoric acid, though.
> --
> Sean Bartnik

Sean,
        You're right on.  Phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in "Naval
Jelly", a popular and effective rust converter.  The phosphoric acid
combines with rust to form iron phosphate and water.  The iron
phosphate takes the form of a grey powder that washes away pretty
easily.  I'll leave it to the chemists on the list to put up the
exact chemical reaction--I can't remember if phosphoric acid is H2PO4
or H3PO4.
Scott