Re:Engineers & Hell, but no LBC content

To: rfeibusch@loop.com
Subject: Re:Engineers & Hell, but no LBC content
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:57:44 +0000
I'll go ahead and add my engineer joke to the mix:

        An engineer and a mathematician work together, and are always
arguing as to which of them is the better problem-solver.  Finally,
their boss gets tired of all the bickering, and decides to end it
once and for all.  He calls the two women into the conference room,
and says "Here's a problem for you both.  If you were to drop a
chicken off the top of the Empire State Building, how long would it
take to hit the ground?"  The mathematician is selected to go first.
She fills up three chalkboards with equations, taking into account
air resistance, the difference in gravity from the top of the
building to the bottom, thermal updrafts, the surface area of the
chicken's wings, atmoshperic pressure, and all sorts of various and
sundry parameters.  Two hours later, she comes up with her answer.
The boss is suitably impressed.
Now it's the engineer's turn.  She walks up, erases the chalkboards,
and begins -- "Assuming a round, frictionless chicken...."

(My apologies to anyone who didn't find this funny, but those of you
who have dealt with engineering problems involving "slender, massless
rods", "frictionless pulleys", and "massless ropes of negligible
diameter" are probably on the floor now... Scott)