Points problem

To: MGs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Points problem
From: Roger Wilt <rdwilt@pol.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 23:11:59 -0500
My 51 TD was running rough at the end of the fall so I spent much of the
winter working on the fuel system only to fire up this spring and find
the same problem. I then started into the electrical system only to find
my points (with about 1000 miles on them) had developed an unsual wear
pattern in which metal from one point was deposited on the other
creating a cone/valley pattern. I filed them down and the car ran better
but a check at 100 miles shows the same thing starting again.

.          .
.          .
....    ....   SEE Sophisticated diagraham!
    .  .
....  .  ...             Is this condensor(also 1000 miles old)?
.   .   .  .             Posssibly coil? (did test coil using voltmeter
.     .    .                method previously discussed and on the
............                 second test, tower to terminal, I got 4000
                                instead of the suggested 6-30,000)

Thanks in advance!
Roger
51 TD