Re: Thanks to all who replied about V8's. More questions (long).

To: "Russell T. Neyhart" <vwruss@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Thanks to all who replied about V8's. More questions (long).
From: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:07:23 -0600

Russell T. Neyhart wrote:

>     1) I found listings for 3-syncro, 4-syncro, etc... bodyshells.  What's
> the difference between them, other than the trans. has a different number of
> syncros?  I thought there was an early (to narrow to fit the V8), and a late
> style.

The transmission tunnel was widened around 67 to accomodate the wider
four-synchro gearbox.  I think the engine bay was widened in 74 1/2 to
accomodate the V-8, and different engine mounts for the 1800 were used from then
on.  I've heard that all bodyshells have the wider engine bay, but I could be
mistaken.

>     2) In the Moss catalog, there was a listing and photo of a nice top/hood
> that was said to be similar to the ones (in construction) to German ones.
> Does this mean that they have more substantial insulation, etc... than the
> stock type?  Also, it stated that they fit '71 and on.  Was '70/'71 a
> changeover year in the design of the body, or just the top/hood?

Just the top/hood design changed then, and I think the later one is
more-desirable.  However, if you use that top, you must buy the top frame for
that year.  The German-style "cabriolet" tops have insulation and a padded
headliner, both of which the factory-style tops lack.  The cabrio tops cost a
lot more as well.

>     3) What has anyone done that they liked, or disliked, to their B, as far
> as engine, suspension, or braking modifications?

Can't help ya there; my 76 is stock other than the addition of a front anti-sway
bar.

--
Tyson Sherman
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman