Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:29:37 -0800 (PST) (21:29 UT)
>  The ways to depart stoplights then are;  Anticipate the light
  and engage the clutch early, giving the gears time to slow.  Engage the
  clutch when the light turns green, then wait until you deem the noise of
> honking cars, or grinding gear teeth is preferable.

  Or another way, which I learned at the expense of two points when
taking my driving test at age sixteen, is when the light turns, push in
the clutch, pull it into second gear, then push it into first.  The
second gear synchro stops the laygear without muss, fuss, or grrrrrrinding.
The only drawback is that you are using your second gear synchro twice
as much as you normally would, and it's already susceptible to premature
wear.  Since my second synchro is shot anyway, I put it into third and
then into first.  A much less elegant move, but necessary in my case.
I found going from fourth to first much to difficult to do with any
accuracy.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*