Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:41:40 -0800
robert weeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, I talked to a Moss supplier and Mini Mania and they both sell the
> ARP bolts. Those bolts are just too darned expensive for me. I'm getting
> a new rocker assembly, camshaft, tappets, and oil pump for less than the
> cost of those ARP bolts, doesn't seem right to me.....
>
> Does anyone know of a reasonably priced supplier of bolts? I heard that
> some Chevy bolts will work for the flywheel and head. The conrod bolts
> alone from ARP are around $110! ouch!

        I have used flywheel bolts from Rocket products on the MGB.  I'm
pretty sure the application was Chrysler.  The bolts have a little bit
longer head and are easier to remove than the stock ones, a very valid
reason for change.  MGB and Midget fasteners are not a common problem,
from experience the areas of concern are.

MGB/MID         Thermostat studs in stainless (high corrosion area)
MGB             Head studs and nuts (aftermarket are a bit iffy)
MID A ser       Rod bolts do cause problems in stressed motors

The original head studs in MGA's and early Bs are low tensile strength.
 The later B's used a head stud identified by a small dimple in the
upper end.  These are a stronger upgraded stud and would be a good idea
to use in the early engines.  The dimpled head studs can be safely
reused one time.  After that who knows what they have been torqued to.

Kelvin.