Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:46:21 -0500 (EST)
        This is just my .002 cents worth but... how many places out there
that rebuild these engines put new bolts in? If you are doing the work
yourself then you will be saving more than the cost of the bolts, so you
could afford to buy them if you really wanted to. If someone else is
building the engine and they reuse the old bolts you will never know. I
suppose that the bolts could break or come loose, but I don't think I
would be willing to invest about 50% of the cost of the rest of the parts
in new bolts. If I did replace any of the bolts they would be the flywheel
bolts. These are special bolts and since they are only 7/16" they can
strip if tightened too much.
...Art