Paint Fumes or What?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Paint Fumes or What?
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 98 22:28:25 PST
Hey all,

I've been absolutely stunned by my quest for a decent
runner 'B GT in SoCal.

Background:  the Team and I are working on project
involving a couple of 'B GTs.  The guys back home
(in the south) have secured a couple of GTs, however
beasts that need some attention.  Wanting to a) find
a faster way to get the project rolling, and b) find
one for me to play with, I set out looking to various
MGB GT ads, wanted and for sale.

Now I know I've been exposed to all sorts of organic solvents
in my day, and I may not think like all the other MG people
out there...but since when do MGB GTs fetch $5000, particularly
ones that "run ok and need paint"?  I guess if you hang out
a "wanted" sign, you get all sorts of responses.

I looked one car over, a nice '71, decent interior, solid tub
good "20 foot" paint job, that some kid slid under a truck.
The grille, bonnet, oil cooler, and both front fenders ate
it.  Fortunately the impact was all above the oil cooler shelf,
or the chassis could've been majorly tweaked.  The slam panel
was smashed of course, but the damage didn't make it to the
radiator (even though the fan hit it, as MGBs tend to do when
decelerated rapidly---that stay rod on the later cars is
there for a reason!).  The car was %80 of what the Team wants,
even had disk wheels....but $1500 for a 'B GT that needs $800
worth of parts and untold hours of cutting and welding?  I don't
think so.  (Plus I've got no place to do any welding here.
$500 and back home this'd be the ideal car.)

I just wanted to rant and see if the MGB price guide in my mind
is totally out of shape or what.

On a different note, my 'B V-8 conversion is coming along, bit by
bit.  I found a bellhousing for a decent price, picked up a pair
of MG radiator fans and motors (with all brackets), and I'm talking
to machine shops...it's still going to be a few months, but it's
nice to have things happen, and "new" parts are fun to go over.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/