Re: 75w140 Durablend in tranny - long..

To: David Stecher <davidandmichelles@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: 75w140 Durablend in tranny - long..
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:41:40 -0800
I found the following which might be useful....

According to Roy Howell, Chief Chemist, Redline Synthetic
Oil Company:

Gear oil viscosity is measured at 150 F vs. 210 F for motor
oil. Therefore, 40 W motor oil is the same as 95 W gear oil. =

Gear oil is acidic, motor oil is alkiline. Gear oil needs
very high wear protection - Extreme Pressure (marked as EP).
Therefore, it has a very high sulfer and phospor content.
Sulfur and Phosphate reactions start at a lower temperature,
and
Gear Oil has much more additive than motor oil. This
additive is corrosive to copper bearings and bronze synchro
rings. =

=2E....and this was found on an MR2 site:

Red Line MTL is 75W-80 GL-4.  Red Line MT-90 is 75W-90
GL-4.  The Red
Line brochure has the exact same words for both (proper
friction
coefficient for synchros, improved synchro protection,
etc.).  I think
MT-90 may be the best choice since it meets Toyota's spec of
75W-90
weight oil.  However, according to John B. the MTL offers
better
shifting than the MT-90.

Red Line's 75W-90 and 75W-90NS are GL-5 rated.  I initially
put 75W-90
in my '94T with LSD, but noticed that the bottle said "not
for use with
copper synchros".  The 75W-90NS said "improved protection
for synchros"
so I switched to the 75W-90NS.  =

=2E...and from Redline themselves:

Typical Properties

                                MTL=AE          MT 90           =

                                GL 4            GL 4 =

SAE Grade (Gear Oil)            75W/80W         75W90 =

SAE Grade (Engine Oil)          5W30            15W40
Vis @ 100=B0C, cSt              10.2            14.7 =

Vis @ 40=B0C, cSt               50.8            91.7 =

Viscosity Index                 171             168 =

Brookfield Vis @ -40=B0C, Poise         160             400 =

Pour Point, =B0C                        -50             -45 =

Pour Point, =B0F                        -58             -49 =

Flash Point, =B0C               232             240 =

Flash Point, =B0F               450             465 =

They go on to explain that MTL is ideal for transmissions
that usually require ATF and MT-90 is ideal for manual
transmissions calling for engine oil and need brass synchro
protection.

Hope this helps all!

Andy

David Stecher wrote:
> =

> Red Line suggested MT 90 to me for overdrive tranny
> =

> Dave

-- =