Re: Radio

To: bruset@home.com
Subject: Re: Radio
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:10:22 +0000
> I am partial to Panasonic head units. I have one in my Mercury, and it puts
> out
> enough power (35x4) to drive my speakers w/o an amp. I have a in-dash CD.
>
> This is what I was planning for my MG:
>
> Panasonic or Kenwood Head Unit
> 2 4" Infinity low-profile speakers for the door, in the stock 1978 cut out
> locations
> 2 6x9s in boxes behind the seats, maybe powered by a seperate amp
> 2 10" subs in the rear deck, powered by a seperate amp
>
> A nice obnoxious stereo, although it will be off most of the time! =)
>
> I also have my BMC AM/FM/8 track! =)
>

> BEN RUSET - bruset@home.com
> Safety Fast & MG Cars Webring -  http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis

I'm partial to Kenwood or Denon myself, but to each his own.
        As for the speakers, I think you would be better off with larger
speakers in the front, and smaller speakers in the rear.  The back
speakers are just for rear fill, so 6X9s would be overkill.  You want
the soundstage to be established in front of you, not behind you.
See if you can squeeze some 5 1/4" speakers in the doors, with some
surface-mount tweeters.  Put some capacitors in-line with the front
speakers to block the bass frequencies, since you'll have the subs
for that, and bass is largely non-directional anyway.  Put some 4" or
so speakers in the back, also with the capacitors.  No need to try
to get bass freqs from a 4" driver!  You could put some inductors
in-line to block the very high frequencies as well, since you
don't need them for rear fill, but they'll roll off pretty well all
by themselves.
        I would heartily recommend a sealed enclosure for the 10" subs.  JL
Audio is my favorite brand, but there are others.  A sealed box won't
play quite as loudly, but the speakers will last longer, and it will
play lower and more cleanly.  Plan for at least fifty watts for the
front, and one hundred watts for the subs, at a minimum.  You can get
this with a single 4 X 25 watt amp, if you bridge the rear channels
to mono for the subs (Use 8-ohm subs, wired in parallel).  You can
use the deck's built-in power for the rear fill speakers, or just go
with a 6 X 25 amp and ignore the deck's amplifier.  This may sound
like a lot of power, but it isn't.  It will be enough to play loudly
without distorting the signal, but don't think that 200 watts is a
"boomer" system.
Scott