Re: mg bodywork and ? mig welder

To: RJohn50603 <RJohn50603@aol.com>
Subject: Re: mg bodywork and ? mig welder
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:18:56 -0500
RJohn50603 wrote:

>  >
>  > John,
>  >
>  > I bought a Lincoln Weld Pak 100 Mig welder with the shield gas kit a cart.
> The
>  > welder and shield gas kit was $380 at Home Depot. I also bought the cart
> for
>  > that family of welders at my local welders supply for $125 and bought a
> bottle
>  > for the argon/CO2 for $100.
>  >
>  > The rig did a good job when I had to repair some crash damage to my left
>  > quarter panel on my '73 MGB. I want to use it to remove the "crack of doom"
> on
>  > my doors, but haven't had the time since I drive the car daily.
>  >
>  > Have you bought the Craftsman welder yet and are you going to use shield
> gas?
>  >
>  > R. Johnson - Dallas
>
>  Hello--
>  Thanks for the reply. I haven't bought the Sears welder yet. Want to
>  make sure I know what I want before I lay down that kind of money.
>  I believe I want a gas-shielded rig. I'm told that you need a heavier
>  wire otherwise, and that can be too hot for sheet metal.
>  John Vallely
>   >>

> John,
>
> Incidently, I am so glad I spent the $125 on the cart. It keeps the welder and
> the bottle of purge gas safely together as I move the welder around the
> garage. I'd just hate to knock that bottle over with all of that pressure in
> it.
>
> By-the-way, you'll find yourself on the lowest current setting to work on body
> sheet metal.
>
> R. Johnson - Dallas

R.--
Went to look at the Lincoln Weldpack 100/gas kit you referred to at Home
Depot and ran into the Lincoln 155 that runs on 230v/20A--total with gas
kit around $560 & change. I think it's less likely to trip the breaker
on the 240v circuit than the 100 amp machine will on the 120v/20A
circuit.
I gotta think about this some more...
Thanks again for the advice.
John V.