Speedo cable lube -Reply

To: DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedo cable lube -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 11:02:48 -0500
Last time I lubed all the cables on the Kawasaki, I was guilty of using
Liquid Wrench Silicone Lube which comes in a spray-can with a straw.  I
don't know what came over me.

What about (clean) motor oil?  It's thicker than a spray lube like
WD-40, and thinner than grease (more important in cold temperatures).
This would be a good application for a little syringe without the
needle, or one of those narrow tipped bottles like they sell "SU
carburetor oil" in.

As for graphite:  Your cable's probably already got some wet lube in
there.  Doesn't graphite + petroleum = sludge?

Matt Kulka
'74 B - which used to have a slowometer.

>>> Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu> 04/04/98 11:24pm >>>
SPEEDOMETER CABLE LUBRICATION:
Some time ago (maybe last year?) there was some discussion here
regarding
speedo cable lubrication.  Was there a concensus on the best method and
lubricant?  Twenty years ago I recall being sold graphite for this
purpose.
Is this still recommended?