Cranks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cranks
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:45:47 EDT
<<Subject: MGA crankshaft

My MGA crankshaft has had the casting number (12H449A)
partially removed.  A new number (12H165) was hand stamped
onto the crank.  The MGA factory parts book lists 12H164 as a
proper part for the MGA 1600.  Any thoughts ?
Is it possible that the PO used a 1622 crank in a 1600 block ?  If
so.....how can I tell the difference between a MGA 1600 and a
1622 crankshaft?   Thanks  Mike>>

It is possible, but somewhat unlikely. The hand stamping is odd, but the
numbers on cranks are normally casting numbers, not part numbers. Maybe
someone just stamped the part number on it for some reason. Correlating
casting numbers to part numbers requires esoteric knowledge or an equally
esoteric list of numbers.
The 1622 crank is better than the 1588 one by the way.

Bill S.