Re: Mark I

Subject: Re: Mark I
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 98 12:45:45 -0700
On Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:43:52 -0700 Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca> =
asks:

>...is the generator something worry about?  In the Porter book it
>says the positive-earth cars don't charge the battery as well - would
>changing the car to negative earth help the situation?  Is replacing
>with an alternator possible/suggested/standard practise?

Before I converted mine to an alternator set up, getting stuck in =
traffic with any electric accessories on =AD=AD radio, heat, =
windshield wipers (all useful at times) =AD=AD=A0was a guarantee of a =
dead battery.  Simply changing the car to negative ground won't do =
the trick.  You need an alternator, which cranks out more juice than =
the generator at lower revs. However, if you're planning on using the =
car for long drives on winding roads, and not for commuting or a lot =
of short trips, the generator shouldn't pose any problems.

Joseph
67 B Roadster