I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:20:57 EDT
I had been having some pinging lately on my '71 MGB. A quick check of the
static timing showed 7 deg BTDC which is retarded compared to the book spec of
10 deg (for the 18GK engine). I tried several different brands of premium gas,
but the pinging persisted. I finally broke down and bought a timing gun
(strobe light) and measured 20 deg BTDC @ 1500 rpm. The book says 15 deg.  I
adjusted the dizzy for 15 deg and took it for a test drive. Happy days, no
more pinging! I now believe that static timing is only for ballparking from
scratch just to get the engine started.

Now what should the timing on a TD be at 1500 rpm?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336