RE: Gulp valve

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Gulp valve
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:07:38 -0700

>Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

>From: RAY WYGONIK <<RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>

>Subject: Gulp valve

>On my 74B, 72 18V engine, the gulp valve has a large hose running from the

>carbon cannister, a hose to the bottom of the car and a small, approx 3/16"

>male end that is not connected up.  Is this a vacum connection?

>Also I do not have a crankcase breather tube.  I just installed a Weber DGV

>and there is a fitting under the air cleaner that I understood connected up to

>the crankcase breather.  I have not had the car running since I have had it,

>but very close.  do I need a crankcase breather?  All openings are sealed off,

>apparently the engine ran this way.

Ray,

    The Gulp valve is not connected to the carbon canister, or at least it
should not be.  The gulp valve has an input, an output and a vacuum connection.
 It can only be mounted such that the vacuum connection points away from the
valve cover.

Then the input connects to a hose that has a restrictor inside it, this
connects to the air pump. The other side of the gulp valve connects to the
inlet manifold.

I think you must be talking about something else, perhaps the ANTI-RUN ON
valve, located just below and ahead of the carbon canister? Is your car non
standard?

If you are referencing the ANTI RUN ON VALVE, this is connected as follows:-

It has a vent hose that goes down below the car and is open to the air. It has
a hose that connects to the carbon canister and a small hose that connects to
the manifold vacuum. Hope this helps.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1973 MGB;1974 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1972MGB daily driver.