Re: Mark I, Now '73 B Alternator

To: jspeiser@erols.com
Subject: Re: Mark I, Now '73 B Alternator
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
-jspeiser <jspeiser@erols.com> wrote:

> Jim - and fellow listers  ;
>
> Jim wrote about "replacing the quaint Lucar connectors"  The
question is:
> what's the best replacement for the originals?  I bought a TD wiring
> harness from Moss that has no conectors - you have to figure that
part out
> yourself.

John,

Having a '74 B, I'm not sure what the original TD connectors were. I
have a feeling they were some kind of "bullet" variation, which is
what most of my 74's have been replaced with.

There are all different types of bullet connectors, but the basic idea
is to replace the white socket-like Lucar connectors with something
more singular and stable. I don't think your TD had Lucars, because it
seems a more mod-like 60's thing. Your TD most likely had bullet
connectors that were soldered to the various ends of devices and
harnesses, but I'll leave that to the 'T' experts. I've seen some MG
and Jag old timers totally dispense with connectors entirely, and just
hand solder together each individual electrical connection. Some of
these same types absolutely cringe at the idea of using modern
crimp-type bullets connectors.

The problem with the Lucar socket connectors is that, elegant as they
are, the interior pins that connect together tend to rust or fall
apart. Because more than one circuit can flow through the sockets, all
sorts of problems can arise. After about twenty years the white
plastic exteriors crack and rot as well, especially those under the
dash that have gotten kicked around a bit. Also, most of the
replacement parts now available lack the attendant Lucar ends, making
connection to existing wiring impossible. That's why some people end
up ripping out entirely what's left of the Lucars, and replace each
wiring end with an individual bullet connector. I hate to replace my
Lucars, but most of the ends just don't seem to be available any more.

If in doubt about what to do, these cars are so easy and fun for
experts to work on that a trip to a good old auto electrician might be
the best bet for help. Some of those guys can do amazing things.