Re: Allison XR-700 Ignition Polarity question

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Allison XR-700 Ignition Polarity question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 02:40:46 -0400
Andy Ramm wrote:
> Merantime, I have an Allison XR700 ignition system on my positive ground '67
> BGT.  I would like to convert to negative ground.  Is my XR700 toast?  Can I
> simply switch the leads, or am I stuck replacing the ignition unit?

  Moss lists them as two different part numbers, so I beleive they
are very different.

  Most likely, the difference is simple but converting might not
be feasible. It's probably like a radio, one unit assumes the metal
case is positive with respect to the innards and is wired accordingly,
the other is negative.

  The transmitter is probably wired backwards as well, if it uses
the distributor as ground for the infrared LED.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/