Gearbox

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gearbox
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 02:41:30 EDT
<<According to Butch Gilbert who has raced MGBs for donkey's
years, the 3-synchro MGB gearbox is good for about 10 extra
peak HP at the rear wheels compared to 4-synchro boxes.
Rich Gordon at Trafalger spares speculated that the reverse
should be true due to the 4-synchro box's bearing and shaft
size.  Could it be the size and weight of the flywheel
that's really making the difference?

I'm inclined to trust Butch, but am seeking more opinions
before I pull the engine and start swapping gearboxes.>>

I agree with Butch on this, based on my racing experience. I have both boxes
in different cars. The early one with close ratio gears is a sweet trans for
racing, but a bit of a pig on the street.

Bill S.
3 MGA's with non-synch, 1 MGC with synch