Re: Fork Oil - what weight are you using?

To: ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Fork Oil - what weight are you using?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:44:14 EDT
Ok Ulix
  I'll comment about fork oil (I've been using the stuff in my midget for
the last 12 years or so, thus I've got a bit of back ground experience)
 Yes, it makes the stocks stiffer: Or it makes the stocks softer>
 It really depends on which weight oil you use.
 The use of 10 or 20 weight fork oil will result in a softer ride, with
the "stiffness" going up as the weight of the oil increases (profound
observation #1)
 On a Midget, 20W is very near the ride rate of the original shock fluid
(assuming what  was in the things when I got it was "original"
 On my BGT, though, I found (prior to going to tube shocks on all 4
corners) that 30W was closer to the original, though a tad stiffer, but
this may be due to the shocks being a bit older than the ones on the
Midget, and the valving may have been worn.
 Currently, I'm running 40W in the  Midget, front and rear, as it's main
function in life now seems to be auto-x and "spirited" driving. The
jounce and rebound action is stiff, but that's what I prefer, as it seems
to help the initial turn in.
 The thing I like about using the M/C fork oil is the ability to "Mix
your own" compounds to fine tune the shock action. Before settleing on
40W, I tried several mixtures from 50/50 mix of 30 & 40W to straight 50W
(not recommended - "can you say Eyeball Rattling")
 Aren't you glad you asked now?  :>)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget