RE: New Moss prices?

To: George Merryweather <georgem1@top2.ficnet.net.tw>,
Subject: RE: New Moss prices?
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

---George Merryweather <georgem1@top2.ficnet.net.tw> wrote:

> Having dealt with Moss for a number of years, I have a different
understanding of what the $123.00 price means.  According to my
contact at Moss, it is simply a computer error.  The Master Price
List, stored is some computer, has some unavailable parts listed at
'0.00' price.  There are other that have the familiar
"Use...Suggest...NWA...", etc.  When the software that converts the
Master list into the Price Book format, there is enough editing done
to flag a price as wrong at '0.00', but it inserts the revised price
as $123.00.

---
Maybe, but the problem is that there are other prices that pop up
throughout the price list the same way, for other OOS items at varying
degrees of value.

Don't get me wrong. I love Moss. I'll never forget the day years ago
that they sent out a copy of their old newsprint 'Moss Motoring' to
all of us 'B'ers on the California DMV lists. They were a revelation,
and their catalogs are (to use a cliche) unsurpassed. It's just that I
find their new price list strategy to be a little questionable.
Also... on a lot of items, I've found that VB is cheaper, and the cost
of shipping more than cancels out the California sales tax that you
don't have to pay. Maybe I'm a little biased, though, because
oldtimers here tell me that Moss 'ain't what it used to be'. But
oldtimers always say that!

Jim
74 'B