RE: highway running temp.

To: "don" <brgmgb@napanet.net>, "don" <brgmgb@napanet.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: highway running temp.
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 98 18:34:53 UT
Running hot while driving at highway speed - but -  "normal" when at idle or
around town seems a bit weird.  Better make sure the fluid is topped off.
Recently, in my 76, I experienced the same problem and found that the radiator
was spitting out some coolant (need to get a coolant reservoir)- over a few
weeks I eventually lost enough coolant to make a difference in temp - but only
when highway driving - at idle or around town the temp dropped!!!  Funny thing
though - the exact opposite is true with my C Roadster.  Highway driving
causes the C to run much cooler than stop-and-go, idle or around town!!

Also check t'stat (or replace), air flow (although you say the airflow is
good) and is the radiator in good shape?  Finally, what about the oil?? -
better make sure it is sufficient and fresh!!  I agree with Don about
antifreeze to water ratio (I do 40 AF to 60 H2O) and the water wetter.

I'd be interested to understand how you make out.  Also, anyone know whether
high RPM (highway speed) driving creates more heat than is offset by increased
air flow?

Dr. Doug
2 Cs that always run hot and 2 Bs that usually run at "N"