Re: white smoke

To: <miker15@juno.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: white smoke
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:01:11 -0500
>Then a couple of oddities started to occur - Im getting puffs of white
>smoke each time i change gear, mostly up but occasionally down too - it
>lasted for a couple of miles then stopped - or at least i couldnt see it
>anymore

Mike,

One of my more glorious SNAFUs was to overfill the SU dashpots on a '74
Midget. The car sits for awhile and a puddle of oil forms on the bottom of
the intake tract. On first startup it just sits there, then the motor warms,
warms the oil, and, when it is ingested, produces quite noticeable clouds of
blue smoke. Once the oil is gone the car seems fine. Until the next day and
the process repeats itself.

I went so far as replacing the head gasket in search of a fix. The first
time I didn't disconnect the carbs, just lifted it all in toto. The _next_
time I went after it by removing the carbs and then the puddle of oil was
obvious.

BTW: I would not advise overfilling the SUs of a 'friends' car on a prank.
No sir. That would be mean, cruel, and unkind. Nope. Wouldn't do it.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6