Re: Nostalgic Design

To: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

---Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net> quotes:
 "It was the early '80s, and the era of the affordable roadster
appeared to be
> over. Triumph and MG were dead, Fiat faltering...
> "We asked ourselves, how come people are keeping these old cars?
Surely
> there would be a market for a new one if we could make the
technology more
> reliable and affordable."
> Mazda's then-chairman Kenichi Yamamoto eventually was convinced by the
> designers.
> Today, the Miata is the best-selling sports car in the world".
Do listers actually like how the Miata handles? It reminds me of an
X1/9 (like a go-cart), it has terrifically awful sightlines (about a
third of your drivers seat view is car body), and it feels incredibly
lightweight underfoot--because it is!

After driving a friends Miata to Santa Barbara County and back in '92
I was never so happy to get in my B-- a real car! Clean sightlines,
solid handling, and the proper center-of-gravity for a small car. Any
comments here? After all the hype, I couldn't believe how AWFUL the
Miata felt. There's no comparison to a British roadster-- none!

Jim
'74B