Re: Nostalgic Design

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 11:12:22 -0400
>Would be interested in a serious answer. Making our living serving only
>British Cars (and having done so for the last umpteen years), we are
>concerned that daily use of LBCs is dwindling and are considering expanding
>our operation to include Miatas. Are we really going to have to keep their
>owners from seeing the LBCs in our shop?

I'd like to jump in here for a second.

First off, no matter what kind of car you have, chances are that there are
people out there who are "enthusiasts" with it. I have seen people who love
Ford Pintos, Suzuki Sidekicks, Checkers, etc. What makes them any different
than the LBC crowd? Nothing. They are all enthusiasts themselves, and while
everyone holds the prejudice that "their car is the best, the only, etc" when
it really boils down to it, we are all of the same breed.

I would think that expanding your business to include Miatas would be a
wonderful idea. First off, it keeps the Miata owners supplied with parts - and
finding a good supplier that you can trust is hard, second it provides funding
to keep your LBC parts on the shelves.

Some people may not like the Miata because it resembles a British roadster too
well -- well, I have two things to say: "Imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery", and this isn't the first time that a Japanese manufacturer has
tried
to imitate British designs -- remember the Datsun roadsters?

BEN RUSET - ICQ # 10364973
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring

http://members.home.com/mgbhaven