Re: Nostalgic Design

To: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>,
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 12:03:39 -0700 (PDT)

---William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com> wrote:
> You're right here: there's no comparison to a British
> roadster.  I would never consider the Miata a replacement
> for an LBC, but maybe a decent replacement for a modern
> commuter car, say a Civic...

------------------------------------
I guess what bugs me about the Miata is all the hype comparing it to a
"classic" British roadster. I hated the X1/9 feel of the car, because
the center of gravity made the wheels feel like they were right below
the driver's seat-- that's not a car, it's a go cart. I was amazed
that the Miata I drove-- new -- felt similar. I couldn't believe, too,
how cluttered the sightlines were, especially with the headlights up.
In a 'B', when you look out the windshield, all you see is road--
incredible design. With the Mazda, about a third of your view is the
hood. People think that's neat?

I drove the Miata on the wildly dangerous two lane San Marcos Pass
road near Santa Barbara, and I couldn't believe how 'unsolid' and
lightweight the car felt. It was like driving a vacuum cleaner. In
regards to "quality", my 'B' has 250,000 miles on it, with the
original engine and water pump. When a Miata goes that long, someone
should let me know. I won't stay up.

I like Mazdas, but the Miata?? I don't get it. It's so apparently
inferior to a 'B' that it seems unarguable.

Jim
74B