Re: wiring electric fans

To: jimbb88@erols.com
Subject: Re: wiring electric fans
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 00:03:38 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/98 9:49:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jimbb88@erols.com
writes:

> What I use is a
>  circuit breaker, since the problem, if it occurs, is usually a heat
>  related overload, not a short. The circuit breaker will cool, & reset in
>  a few minutes. Is the fuse a better solution?

Jim,

You will get a bit of a debate over this question, as some feel that a fuse
has a much more positive, less failure prone, operation.  Myself, I feel that
either is acceptable in most cases.  I guess a lot of it would have to do with
the application.  Certainly, if an overload situation is to be expected from
time to time, then a breaker is the way to go.  I definitely prefer a breaker
to a fuse for headlight circuits.  If you have a prolonged short, you will
lose your lights no matter if you have a breaker or a fuse, but a momentary
short, such as might occur when you hit a pothole and the wiring bounces into
the sheet metal, will not put you in the dark.  With a fuse, even this
momentary short, which would have done no real damage otherwise, could be
fatal (to you, not just the car).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74