Re: Electrically Dead MG

To: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electrically Dead MG
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

---Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net> wrote:

> I took the 68 'B for a nice cruise (well, OK - dash/thrash) through
the
> hills and back home via the freeway...
> The next morning I take her out of the garage, idling fine if not a
> little lumpy down low , I put the foot
> down to take off and... sudden death!  Cranking over but refused to
> fire... I pulled off the lead on No. 4 and get no spark
> whatsoever.
>
> I have been looking for a lead hanging off somewhere.  Where do I
start
> the investigation?

Obvious check would be coil leads or main coil wire. Check fuse block
for loose connections (I had this same thing happen after a 2000 mile
trip, and fuse block was to blame). Especially note if your low
tension lead inside the distributor has frayed or disconnected-- it's
a very common problem, easy to fix.

There's probably an easy solution. I've seen this before, and fiddling
around with things tends to remedy it.

Jim
74B