Re: Carlisle

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Carlisle
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:17:26 -0400
Between the fun in the Mud, and the great event put on by Dave Houser, I
had a few minutes to go through the odd books put on a "bargin table" by
Ron Embling owner of Brit Books. His stand was dry and under the grandstand.

I picked up a gem for $10, called British cars of 1949-1950. I knew of many
of the cars, and I know this is not news to the Brits on this list, but I
thought it might be interesting to some to list the cars produced in
Britain in mid century. Comments are mine.

Allard, the car with Ford V8s was a neat two seater, but the saloon is
weird looking

Alvis, neat traditional looking sedan and drophead coupe

Armstong Siddeley, great looking saloon and coupe in traditional style

Aston Martin, no comment needed

Austin   A90 Atlantic Convertible strange modern looking

Bentley  no comment needed

Bristol   Great looking

Citroen ? its in the book, were they made in Britain after the war for
anytime?

Daimler  Big traditional look, the choice of George VI

Ford, the small Anglia, and the larger V8 Pilot

FrazerNash, great looking sportscar

Healey (before Austin)  neat drophead coupe.

Hillman, I remember these in the U.S. in the 50's

H.R.G. traditional T type look, but not as pretty two seater

Humber  very plain looking

Invicta  Grat looking  "black Prince coupe

Jaguar  120 roadster and greatlookin saloon and coupe

Jensen, large saloon traditional look

Jowett  Javelin    saloon looks like 41 Ford

Lanchester    saloon  nothing to write home about in style

Lagonda   neat saloon with airstream looking front

Lea Francis,  cross between traditional and modern style

Lloyd, a tiny roadster

MG, no comment needed  (TC and YA shown)

Morgan  no comment needed

Morris : Minor is great, the "Six" looks plain, the Oxford, typical 50's
British

Riley: Beautiful 2 1/2 litre Convertible

Rolls Royce  no comment needed

Rover  have seen them in period TV mysteries, police inspector usually
drives one

Singer, saloons not interesting, "nine" roadster is in a way

Standard :  forget it

Vanguard  same as above

Sunbeam Talbot    strange looking saloon, but I like it

Triumph "1800 "Saloon and Roadster I love them  What was the name of the
British series set on the isle of Jersey? Bergerack or somethig, he drove
an 1800

Vauxhall   nothing interesting

Wolseley  in 1950 not the most beautiful. but it was MOWOG

That makes 36 makes in a small country, Truly amazing, and sad that so few
survived. We now live in the world of cosolidation, least common
denominator, and the loss of individual taste, no matter how strange that
taste was. Too bad.

Mike

Armstrong Siddeley-