sunroof

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: sunroof
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:57:54 -0400
Bill Mills -

I have a Sunway folding sunroof on my 1974 GT, been on for about 4 years
now. It has never leaked, & I take it through the automatic car wash,
the kind with the BIG brushes. This was a DIY installation. I bought it
from Seven Enterprises on a close-out, & it came with no instructions.
Several phone calls to them resulted in no help, except the phone number
for Donmar. They were no help, since they sold only to the trade, so far
as they new, & were not interested in helping me at all.

By the way, Murry is correct, don't bother with the wind deflector.

Installation was pretty easy, even without any instructions. I assembled
the outer frame, bolted it to the inner frame, then installed the
folding portion. All  this was done on the living room floor. Next step
was to take it all apart and make a template from a large piece of
signboard (cardboard) and assemble it all again, on the template,
opening & closing the sunroof to check function. Final step was
dissassembly, tape the template to the car roof, drill all the holes, &
finally cut the hole in the roof with a sabre saw. Be sure to drill
first as the pressure will bend the top if you cut first, drill second.

Actual cutting & final assembly took about 3 hours. Piece of cake. Good
to at least 120 mph closed.

Be glad to offer more detail if needed, e-mail me direct. Webasto still
sells sunroofs, by the way, web page ....           webastosunroofs.com

Jim
V8 nut