Re: New MGB GT Owner ( Rather long)

To: jon@nextel.no
Subject: Re: New MGB GT Owner ( Rather long)
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:21:23 EDT
On Tue, 12 May 1998 11:38:55 +0200 (MET DST) Jon Arikstad <jon@nextel.no>
writes: (snips here and there)

>Some questions:

Jon
Sounds like a lot of twork has been done already, i have no idea about
prices/values in Norway (last time i was there i recall it was about ten
US dollars for a beer!) but from the description you seem to have found a
fairly good one

>The car had a non O/D gearbox. Now, with the new OD box  the
>speedomeeter is (I think) very 'optimistic'. Do I change the speedometer
or can
>something be done to it. ?

You need an overdrive speedo cable - they are about 18 inches longer than
the ordinary ones - a 70 should have a speedo with "1280" in the lower
right hand corner - if it does, get the correct cable and it will work
just fine

>There is a bit of 'whining' noise, I think, from the rear of the car.
>Somebody told me that this could be because the differential had been
>running without oil at some time. ( I'm used to 'modern cars, so I'm
>not sure how much  noise I can expect from a MGB.) Wind noise is there,
>but max speed in Norway is ~55 Mph anyway.

Unless its in reverse, whining from the differential is NOT good - drain
the diff (or have it done) - the fluid should be clear, if there is any
sign of metal particles youre in trouble!! - refill it and check
alignment and universal joints - if it still whines, seek a rear end!!

>No power brakes either of course. How should the brakes feel/be,
>compared to a more modern car. ?

Not much comparison, you have to be much more heavy footed than with a
new car but if correctly adjusted theyll do the job as well as any car on
the road

>I plan to use this car as much as possible ( not winter), and I
>suspect that the engine (cylinders +++)will need an overhaul at some
time.

Why? - whats it doing? low oil pressure? compression? smoke?

>Also, my english may not be perfect.

Dont worry - clear as a bell - but dont expect much in the way of good
English on this list - hehe - we're still trying to get them to spell
"colour".....

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT