New MGB GT Owner ( Rather long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New MGB GT Owner ( Rather long)
From: Jon Arikstad <jon@nextel.no>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:38:55 +0200 (MET DST)
I started with a -67 TR4A. It was my first LBC, but it turned out to be to
much work.( That is the short version, add the word rust, use your
imagination)

The kind (!) seller, agreed that I instead could have his -70 MGB GT. I am
1.94, with a very long back, so i normally hit the roof, on most cars. The
GT is surprisingly confortable, and one of the few i can drive. I have NOT
tried Aston M or Jensen or Jaguar . Can't afford them.=20

The GT is quite good. Body was down to bare metal, new panels respray &
'vaxoiled'. It was yellow/brown -ish, now BRG.
The cylinder head converted to lead free + overhauled. New/'recond' O/D
gearbox. New rubber (windows/doors). Some new interior panels.=20
The GT is a bit expensive , but the seller was willing to take the
TR4-project back, but then I had to buy the GT.
The GT comes with an extra set of (very rusty) whire weels, a spare
(probably the original) engine block. ( + some other parts)=20

Both he and I will loose money anyway. He lost money, when he sold me the
TR4 project. ( and will 'loose' more before it is on the road). The seller
( friendly Harald) is buying/selling normally newer cars.=20
The GT has cost him more to restore then I pay him.=20

Some questions:

The car had a non O/D gearbox. Now, with the new OD box  the speedomeeter
is (I think) very 'optimistic'. Do I change the speedometer or can
something be done to it. ?

There is a bit of 'whining' noise, I think, from the rear of the car.
Somebody told me that this could be because the differential had been
running without oil at some time. ( I'm used to 'modern cars, so I'm not
sure how much  noise I can expect from a MGB.) Wind noise is there, but
max speed in Norway is ~55 Mph anyway.

BTW
No power steering, that was a surprice first time I tried to park it.
Nearly hit a tree !! OK when driving.=20

No power brakes either of course. How should the brakes feel/be, compared
to a more modern car. ?
Rear end has a  damper conversion kit installed. Probably from Moss.=20

I plan to use this car as much as possible ( not winter), and I suspect
that the engine (cylinders +++)will need an overhaul at some time. Also I
need a new exhaust in a few years.
I like the low RPM torque, but would like it a little quicker.Not a racer,
but..

Any suggestions/experience ? V8 is perhaps a bit much. The cylinder head
already has a fast road cam.=20

K/N filters + new carb needles. New stainless steel exhaust w/manifold,
(Peco or other ??) Carburettors may need some work, a bit worn. A friend
promised to do the job, for ca =A3100 ( 1000-1500 Nkr.)
=20
I will get Moss motors  parts-catalogue. Moss have a MGB tune
catalogue. Any other sugestions ?=20

Sorry, rather long.
Also, my english may not be perfect.

Jon Arikstad, Norway
jon@nextel.no
9305 5447

1967 Triumph TR4A ( Never)
1970 MGB GT (Soon)

(1987 MB 230E daily driver. MB was a dream too)