A reminder to be a squirrel.....

To: borisri@earthlink.net
Subject: A reminder to be a squirrel.....
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:12:43 EDT
Had a little bit of luck today - though somewhat backhanded
Driving back from Carlisle on sunday the brakes on my GT were
spongy, really not dreadful but  i was glad i didnt have to brake hard
as i couldnt get them to lock even if i had wanted to! - i had put it
down to
possibly being time for an adjustment coupled with the fact that it was
pissing with rain the whole 300 miles!!
I took the wheels off this morning to find that the pads were wafer thin!
- i was
about 20 miles from metal!! - i only changed these about 5000 miles ago
with some
Moss or VB pads and i am NOT heavy with the brakes so it was a bit of a
surprise.

Whilst at Carlisle, Rich Boris had been on a one man crusade to seek out
NOS
asbestos pads since they are so much more durable and dont give out too
much black goo ! - I hadnt known there was a difference until he
mentioned it and hadnt given it much thought until  this morning but then
i remembered that about 6 months ago, whilst cleaning the workshop i had
tossed a few old pads from a parts car in a tin (as opposed to the gash
bin!) - after about half an hour i found the tin - four very slightly
used ones AND four unused spares! - all asbestos-  made my day!
I cleaned the rotors with scotchbrite  - they have to go on the list,
quite a bit of pitting, cleaned the calipers and put the pads in - what a
difference!!! - the car is stopping as well as my jeep now.
So its thanks to Rich for the lesson - and thanks to me for being a
packrat!!!
(Aint it great when something gets fixed for free!!)

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster