Re: Breakage

To: "Jim Carlile" <j_carlile@yahoo.com>, "WSpohn4" <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Breakage
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:57:42 +1000
Jim, I think you are being unrealistic. I look after my midget racecar
mechanicals
very well but I still had a kingpin failure (it had only done a couple of
meetings).

The reason was a manufacturing fault - improper radiusing near the base. The
resultant ridge acted as a crack initiation site.

Modern quality assurance practices are much better than when our LBCs
were being made... So while some failures are due to poor maintenance,
others are marginal design (stub axles on spridgets) that aren't up to the
loads
modern tires can impose, and others are due to manufacturing problems.

It doesn't change the way I feel about our fun little cars, but it is  a
fact
nonetheless.

Mike