Re: Oil Filters and coolers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil Filters and coolers
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:34:39 -0700
A lot of folks agree with Charley's comment about modern oils.
I know in the V-8 conversion world some folks swear by oil coolers
and some folks swear at the idea.  I have one on my 'B, and it will
wear one as a V-8 conversion, but then I'm in San Diego and I the
car runs in autocrosses.  If I lived in Seattle I don't think I'd
bother with it.

One of the things I like about the oil coolers in the MGs is that
they are off the shelf competition items--looks cool to anyone who
knows.  Only a secondary benefit.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/

Jim Carlile wrote:

> I know this is heresy, but I have gone without an oil cooler for over
> 15 years in my B, and it has presented no problems whatsoever. My
> engine has 250,000 miles on it, and it has just started to burn oil.
>
> The reason I never replaced it is because when the original one
> started leaking, the local MG dealer (remember those!) quoted me an
> outrageous price for replacement. My mechanic at the time just blanked
> off the outlets, and I never bothered to look back.

And then Charley Robinson added: