Re: Price for quality paint job?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Price for quality paint job?
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 16:21:46 -0500
I got a quick estimate from a guy here in KY. The B was with me and I ran
into him at the Paint supply store, asking for referrals, and he was buying
paint. ("I ain't gonna refer this guy to someone else!")
He estimated $900, and that was including strip down, to the metal, because
I've got "crow's feet" (also called orange peel, you know if you've got it).
I asked him about "what if" I prepped myself and he said no way, since any
mistake I make will screw up his job.
Sounded pretty good to me! You get honest answers from small-time guys.
I'm going with a base/clear coat, it's tougher and better for a driver car.
(gives him leeway during the job, too)
I'm figuring $1000 for an "outside job", but on mine the insides are still
the original paint and I'm discovering solid factory paint in the trunk and
engine bay under the grime with some Simple Green and a "green pad".
First estimate, and I'm going to get more. Once again, if you live in the
city, go "out". Talk to the non-corporate, small biz guys, they survive on
word-of-mouth, and won't talk BS. This applies to ALL car work. Just beware
if you don't know much or are female. The good ol' boys aren't dumb.
Dan
'73 B