Re: Oil pressure

To: "Jerry Causey (by way of Gregg Baker <gbaker@customcpu.com>)" <jcausey@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 19:37:21 -0400
Jerry Causey (by way of Gregg Baker ) wrote:

> I would be the last person to doubt Twist but I believe the oil circulates
> directly to the bearings before it gets to the filter.  This does not keep
> the pressure from lagging on first start because the system wouldn't
>pressurize
> until the upright filter canister had filled.  I, of course, could be wrong
>and
> I have absolutely no doubt Bob Allen will not hesitate in correcting me if
> that is
> the case. I'm referring to the 68-69 MGBs.
> Baker
>
> Tom:
> You should be using a filter which has a functional  anti-drain
> (back-flow) valve in it, so your oil pump doesn't have to fill the
> filter before it begins to oil your bearings when you start up. In
> my experience, Fram filters always fail. When you stop the engine the
> oil drains out of the filter, back into the crankcase. I've had good
> luck with Wix 51068 filters (also sold as NAPA 1068). There was
> recently a long thread on the MGB  BBS
> (http://www.ipl.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/MG/sub71/cmtlist.html) endorsing
> the use of a Mann filter made for Volvo. There may be others, but I
> stopped looking when the Wix worked so well for me.
>
> Regards,
> Jerry
>
> > I caught parts of a thread that discussed the relationship of oil pressure
> > and oil filter. My GT sometimes also takes 5 or 6 seconds to come up with
> > any pressure at all when starting. What gives?

Ive had the same problem with my 74 BGT - 6-10 secs delay before the oil
pressure got up there.  Yesterday I changed oil and put in a Crossland
(made in the UK) which I bought at Moss - IMMEDIATE PRESSURE!!

New Subject:

Anyone have any ideas on how to rig up a Emergency Brake warning light?
Dumb me stopped at a rest area for a few mins yesterday and took off
with the brake on - didnt realize it til I smelled smoke.

Rick