Still stumped (was rough running midget part)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Still stumped (was rough running midget part)
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:43:27 -0400
Now I really need some help from the list!

On Friday night my '69 Midget started stalling on the highway like it was
starved for gas, sort of like the the fuel pump was cutting in and out.
After a few minutes of this (long enough to get off of the highway) the car
died, wouldn't start, and had to be flatbedded home.

Since then I've checked the pump-it was fine, checked the filter-fine also,
swapped coils, replaced the points and condensor, pumped out the gas tank
and put in new fuel, checked the low and high tension wires, replaced the
plugs, cleaned the carb with gumout, and checked the timing.

Now the car will start just fine, *but* once the engine warms up, it dies
and won't start again. The idle is set at 900 rpm and it will hold that
until the engine is warm, then it just starts iding slower and slower until
it stalls. *If* I can get it to start after it stalls, it is really rough
with a lot of unburnt gas in the exhaust, like when you finally get a
flooded engine to start.

I'm totally stumped here, this car had been running like a top for the last
1500 miles and this came out of the blue. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. I plan to check the valve clearances and replace the rotor and
cap, but the valves were just reset about a month ago when I put the new
rockers on, and the cap and rotor are pretty new also and show no signs of
of being bad. The car has a Weber DGV on it which was rebuilt about six
months ago and has been totally trouble free. Like I said, the engine had
been running amazingly well for 1500 miles, since the minor rebuild.

Thanks,

Robert Weeks
Durham NC
1969 Midget