Re: Still stumped (was rough running midget part)

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Still stumped (was rough running midget part)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
Robert,
you say it starts fine but dies when it gets warm.
Also a lot of unburnt gas comes out of the exhaust.

I say somehow your Weber is creating a rich mixture.  What kind of choke
circuit does it have?  Check that first.  Then disassemble the thing and
clean it out.

At least that's what I would do.
Ulix

On Tue, 26 May 1998, robert weeks wrote:

> Now I really need some help from the list!
>
> On Friday night my '69 Midget started stalling on the highway like it was
> starved for gas, sort of like the the fuel pump was cutting in and out.
> After a few minutes of this (long enough to get off of the highway) the car
> died, wouldn't start, and had to be flatbedded home.
>
> Since then I've checked the pump-it was fine, checked the filter-fine also,
> swapped coils, replaced the points and condensor, pumped out the gas tank
> and put in new fuel, checked the low and high tension wires, replaced the
> plugs, cleaned the carb with gumout, and checked the timing.
>
> Now the car will start just fine, *but* once the engine warms up, it dies
> and won't start again. The idle is set at 900 rpm and it will hold that
> until the engine is warm, then it just starts iding slower and slower until
> it stalls. *If* I can get it to start after it stalls, it is really rough
> with a lot of unburnt gas in the exhaust, like when you finally get a
> flooded engine to start.
>
> I'm totally stumped here, this car had been running like a top for the last
> 1500 miles and this came out of the blue. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated. I plan to check the valve clearances and replace the rotor and
> cap, but the valves were just reset about a month ago when I put the new
> rockers on, and the cap and rotor are pretty new also and show no signs of
> of being bad. The car has a Weber DGV on it which was rebuilt about six
> months ago and has been totally trouble free. Like I said, the engine had
> been running amazingly well for 1500 miles, since the minor rebuild.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Weeks
> Durham NC
> 1969 Midget