Just got my new MGA!!!!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Just got my new MGA!!!!!
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 17:27:05 -0400
Well, the weather turned from "Tornado Watch" and "Thunderstorm Watch" here
in New Jersey to partly cloudy/sunny 70 degrees, so I went and picked up my
MGA.  I bought it in south Jersey from a really nice guy by the name of
John Desilvio.  Some of you have prolly met him at meets and so forth.
It's an MGA 1600 Mark II.  I met him and the car at the Moorestown NJ show
a couple of weeks ago.
Bright red, new camel interior leather and black rugs, 60 spoke chromes,
black top, runs really well.  It was converted some time ago to positive
earth, and the ignition was changed over to electronic.  It's got bias-ply
Dunlops, which look really nice, but when they wear out, I'll consider
switching to radials, mainly for the handling. It has wind wings, which I
suppose help the compartment be more comfy at speed, and look kinda cool if
not "purist".  Side mirrors were removed.  I drove it from Cherry Hill to
my girlfriends house in Frenchtown last night, and home to Bloomfield on
the highway this morning with much caution.
A really fun part was this morning.  Luckily, they were paving Pittsown
road, so I had to take the long winding route through the farmland, and I
went into Clinton this morning for a cup of Joe, and parked on Main
Street... Four people came up.  Old guy in a pick-up who had one back when,
a woman who will be buying an MG or a Morgan when she retires someday,
another guy who used to have a TD, and still another old fella who just
bought a '56 T-bird.  Lots of good conversation and smiles, thumbs up and
beeps on the road.  Damn, life is good.

A question or two for the moment... what grade of oil are you guys using
and why...  I just added a quart of Castrol 10-30.  Are you using an
additive for the unleaded gas?  Is it really needed without changing valve
seats or anything?  Better to use it just to be safe?  My speedo doesn't
work worth a damn, so what are the RPM's at 55 and 65?
Does anyone have info about the Westwood NJ event in July?  I e-mailed the
guy (from the Triumph list) who's in charge, but haven't heard back from him.
Thanks a million, folks.  Look forward to seein' some of you at events.
Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 II