Re: Just got my new MGA!!!!!

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Just got my new MGA!!!!!
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 22:10:34 -0500
Dave,

Congratulations on your recent purchase, It should give you lots of
enjoyment and you'll meet so many new people.

I use Castrol 20W50 in my coupe. Will probably run the same in the
rodaster when I get it  on the road.

I don't drive hard or many miles, so I don't sweat the valves. If I get
only 30,000 miles per valve job I figure that will be about 15 years.
Probably time to tear it apart and at least look at things. Not a
popular belief on this list, but it's mine

As far as the speedo is concerned, there are many places that will
repair them for around $100.00 flat rate. Try Nisonger's (914-381-1952)
or other Sports and Classics (203-655-8731). As far as the Tach goes.
I've been using mine for 10 years. I just don't get around to fixing my
speedo. Anyway the ratio is 17.4 MPH / 1000 RPM. I use 17/1 while I
drive. In rough terms:

30 MPH=1700 RPM
35 MPH=2000 RPM
40 MPH=2300 RPM
45 MPH=2600 RPM
50 MPH=3000 RPM
55 MPH=3200 RPM
60 MPH=3500 RPM
65 MPH=3750 RPM
70 MPH=4000 RPM

Chuck Schaefer

56 roadster (undergoing complete frame up restoration)
61 Coupe (waiting for today's repairs to be done)