Re: HELP! SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL MY CAR!

To: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: HELP! SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL MY CAR!
From: Bert Palte <vortex@wxs.nl>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 10:12:46 +0200
At 17:58 06-06-1998 -0700, Joe wrote:

>This morning...
>The area around the lock...a re-skinning?
>If it needs to be
>reskinned, how good are the Moss panels?

My advice is: just get a new door. They are cheap and easily available.
The door has to be resprayed anyway.

>Is it possible to get a
>matching lock for the door? Or buy a blank one and make it match the
>others.

Forget it. BTDT. My friendly neigbour locksmith told me that these locks,
even when new, are of very poor quality.
Possibly it is best to ask your supplier if he happens to have new set of
locks in stock that has the same key number as your old ones...

>Finally: Is there anything I can do to make my car less theft-proof?
'Less', shoud perhaps read, 'more'?

The best advice I canb give you is not to leave anything of value in the car.
Not even a stereo (I prefer the sound of rattling tappets...).
Whenever I park my 70 B Roadster outdoors (which is not THAT often, admittedly)
I just DONT lock the doors, in order to avoid the type of damage you just
described.

An electrical main switch, hidden  just behind the passenger seat works just
fine as a theft prevention device.

Once again, sorry to hear this, Joe!

Bert