RE: 73 MGB

To: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>,
Subject: RE: 73 MGB
From: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:41:22 -0400
Congratulations I am envious, I will answer those of your questions I can!!

> I'm the proud, new owner of a 73 MGB with 43K original miles. Please be
> patient with me if I ask some pretty basic questions over time -- haven't
> worked on a British car since my Ford Cortina back in High School
> (23 years
> ago).
>
> I'm located in San Diego, CA.  Is anyone aware of local MG clubs?  Good
> mechanics (or the ones to avoid)?  Anyone local willing to help out?
I'm sure there are just hang out here a while someone will let you know

> - Is the 73 a 6 or 12 volt electrical system?

All of the MGB's are 12 volt systems, you have two six volt batteries in
series!  There are anumber of options available to you.  I have kept the
origianl setup with NAPA 6 volt batteries.  Others have converted to a
single 12 volt, I believe it is a group 26 that will fit in the battery
compartment.

> - The batteries appear to be the original ones.  Are there any sealed cell
> replacements available?

See response above!

> - Like to put a newer distributor (no points/condenser)/ignition system.
> Suggestions?

First off why?  If you want you can purchase an Ignitor it is a direct
replacement for the points and condenser, goes in in about 15-20 minutes and
works like a dream!  Skip Kelsey of Shade Tree Motors (he is on the list)
has the best price and he is located in Calafornia.  There is no need to
replace the distributor to do this.
> - Since the car is 25 years old, it no longer has to be smogged in CA. So,
> looking at pulling the smog pump and installing headers. Anything to watch
> out for?

Can't help here!  Consult smeone who lives in California!
> Nick

If you haven't done so already Call Moss Motors and get a parts catalog,
18006677872, they are also on the WEB at http://www.mossmotors.com

There is plenty of help here on this list so hang out and ask all the
questions you want!

Safety Fast!!

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA
http://www.tiac.net/users/jroverca/index.htm