Sheet metal expertise needed

Subject: Sheet metal expertise needed
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 98 20:32:47 -0700
Showed my vandalized door and lock to a couple of shops today. And at one
shop, we came upon a novel solution to replacing or reskinning the door.
Instead of restamping/reshaping the area around the lock to get the bevel
just right, why not buy a new skin, and cut out and weld a new lock area
into the old panel. Is this a good idea? I realize it's tough to answer
without seeing the damage. But to give you a clue to how distorted the
area around the lock is, the guy didn't believe it once looked like the
passenger side until I pointed out the remnants of the surround.

Joseph
67 Roadster

Thanks to all about the paint advice. Even the insurance company guy, who
estimated the job with a clearcoat (since that's what most shops offer),
said the smart thing to do is find a body guy with a great eye for color
who can shoot a single-stage enamel, since that's what's on the car.