Re: Several questions (MGA and otherwise)

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Several questions (MGA and otherwise)
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:58:47 -0400
baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com wrote:

> Since I got my MGA last week, I've had a great time finding my way around
> it.  Today I took her out for a spin around the county just 'cause the
> weather was so darn nice.  What fun!  I'm grateful for the many answers to
> all the questions I have posted, and the humor is great too. I can't wait
> til I get my shop manual!   Until then, here's a few questions...
>
> 1.  What oil should be used in the dashpots?

20-50 engine oil

> 2. How full should they be kept and how often do they need topping off?

up to the top of the bottom of the narrow top
you cant overfill = the oil will just go into the engine

> 3. How full should the brake resevoir be kept?  Most other cars (HA!) have
> a mark on the side of the resevoir.

To the top

> 4. I've never liked Fram filters much.  The PO put the spin on kit on the
> car, and installed a Fram filter.  When I had my TR3 many years ago, I
> recall getting an increase in oil pressure by switching to another filter.
> I've heard Wix filters are great. What brands do you guys use?

Forget which brand is on right now - but wix are one of the best/.

> 5. Has anyone tried the Paddy Hopkirk aftermarket gas pedal Moss sells?  I
> constantly have trouble with the postage stamp sized pedal I have.
>
> 6. How often does shock oil need to be topped off?

Shouldnt be too often - once a season maybe.

> 7.  Will the babes think I'm irresistable if I get MG tire valve stem caps?

Waste of money!!  Wait you may win some at one of the car shows.

> 8. Is there any benefit or danger in using modern spark plugs like platinums?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dave Iwansky

Rick
<http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/9945>